The MOBA genre is really one of the fastest growing in all of gaming. It was only a few years ago that everyone had to look up what a MOBA was, now it’s commonplace among gamers like the terms ‘shooter’ or ‘strategy’. With new contenders coming up to challenge League of Legends and Dota 2 all the time, we here at Free MOBA Games wanted to put together a list of the best MOBA Games to play in 2014 and beyond!
Don’t forget to check out our Top Free MOBA Games list for 2013 as well. You will still find some great games on there!
10. Land of Chaos Online – Number ten on our list is Super Monday Night Combat. This game takes a mix of Dota 2 and blends it with the fast paced action of a first person shooter to create a rather unique deathmatch style game with a dash of humour.
9. Land of Chaos Online – LOCO is another MOBA game that tries to mix a few genres in one. If you take a fantasy MMO, with some RTS and RPG elements, and mix it with a heavy dose of MOBA, you get Land of Chaos Online. Now if that doesn’t convince you to play, I don’t know what will.
8. Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes – Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes is a spin-off MOBA game that ditches the realm versus realm action of Age of Reckoning and brings you the PvP arena action of the most popular MOBA games. A variety of options and roles for classes make this a unique addition to the genre.
7. Smashmuck Champions – SmashMuck is a relatively newer entrant that’s taking the MOBA scene by storm with a bit of a twist. Several different game types and interactive environments, along with a unique and zany cast of characters, make SmashMuck a ‘Smash’ in the face to the MOBA genre. Get it? Smash?
6. Sins of a Dark Age – Sins of a Dark Age is just that. A little bit dark, a little bit sinful. This MOBA game mixes a bit of real-time strategy feel like building an army, creating defenses and controlling troops along with not only PvP battles but matches against the AI in custom scenarios. This is a great change of pace MOBA for fans of the genre.
5. AirMech – AirMech is truly unique in that it is focused on Mech’s and is a play on an old RTS game called Herzog Zwei. In the game you will lead an airborne/walking mech that is outfitted with guns, rockets, lasers and shields while looking for bases to both defend and attack from the enemy.
4. Blizzard All-Stars – We know that putting this game so high on our list is probably overkill. I mean, there’s no info about it at all. But what we are hoping is that Blizzard brings as much dedication to the MOBA genre as it has done with everything else it has touched. We will be on the look-out for this game all year, and you should too.
3. SMITE – SMITE is awesome. This game takes everything you love about League of Legends and Dota and flips it on its head. Literally changing the viewpoint to more of an over-the-shoulder view creates a whole new way of getting into the MOBA action. If you haven’t at least tried SMITE yet then you are really missing out.
2. Dota 2 – The top two games on our list are pretty much no-brainers. They either invented the genre or have changed the face of gaming and competition as we know it. Dota 2 is the successor to DotA and the originator of the genre. If you love MOBAs, then you’ve played DotA or Dota 2 before. You don’t need us to sugar-coat it.
1. League of Legends – Again, this is pretty standard here. League of Legends changed the game in terms of MOBAs, but also gaming in general. This is the peak of excellance in the genre and will be the leader for as far as we can see.
Thanks for checking out our list of the top 10 Free MOBA Games to play in 2013 and beyond. Be sure to check back with us as we continually update all of our game pages with the latest news and information on your favorite genre, MOBAs!